Today I Googled

This is a blog for those who don't have a lot time, well... except when it comes to reading up on trivial information. FACT: I love learning. I love random information. I love google.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Today I Googled the US vs the Metric System


Google, why is there a never ending battle concerning the United State’s conversion to the Metric System?

For me, the United States being too stubborn to use the same universal measuring system as the rest of the universe (excluding Burma and Liberia) was just one of those things I accepted about my country and never really questioned. I mean everyone knows the U.S. would call a black cat white just to prove it could dominate the truth by the mere hierarchy that is Western ideology. But how, indeed, did a few inches come between the sweet simplistic continuity of universal world metrics?? Well… *clears throat* it all began with the ego of a man and his pure disdain for the country of France. For me, after scanning through a lot of information and indulgent opinions on the topic, the most likely catalyst for rebellion against the mass settled around the Louisiana Purchase. Thomas Jefferson bought the Louisiana territory for 15 million dollars because he feared France and Spain held the power to block America from trade access via the port of New Orleans. Smart move in my opinion, those Frenchies are vindictive revolutionists and are not to be trusted. Jefferson was irritated about the heavy price he had to pay for the land so when France came up with the Metric System in 1970, he decided to go a different way. (haha! Neaner, neaner, neaner!) I guess this could quite possibly be the longest grudge ever held! He went to the grave with that one and our country has STILL got his back! In 1975 the Metric Conversion Act was signed and Great Britain followed through with the transfer. Needless to say, the United States’ commitment was nothing but an empty promise when the Board to ensure its progression closed in 1982. I feel like I have learned a lot about my country today and I think this quote by Napoleon Bonaparte concerning the Louisiana Purchase just about sums it up:

"This accession of territory affirms forever the power of the United States, and I have given England a maritime rival who sooner or later will humble her pride."
P.S. Watch your back France....

1 comment: