Today I Googled

This is a blog for those who don't have a lot time, well... except when it comes to reading up on trivial information. FACT: I love learning. I love random information. I love google.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Today I Googled the Banqiao Dam Failure


Google, tell me a little about one of China’s worst “natural” disasters

In 1975, China received about a whole years worth of rainfall all in about 24 hours! Consequently, 64 dams failed, including the Banqiao Dam, which did the most damage. It’s collapse produced a giant wave that traveled up to 30mph and brushed over 6 miles wide at heights of up to 23 feet. The total damage= over 35,000 human fatalities making it one of Chinas worst natural disasters and THE worst dam failure in history. DAM SHAME!!



P.S. I just have to throw this in because my Anthropology degree would surely burst into flames if I left it out.. there is no such thing as a "natural disaster" these days because most have something to do with the human impact on our natural world. Pitch : )

1 comment:

  1. Dam shame ha! love it! I love Today I Googled

    ReplyDelete