Today I Googled

This is a blog for those who don't have a lot time, well... except when it comes to reading up on trivial information. FACT: I love learning. I love random information. I love google.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Today I Googled Whiskers


Google, what animal boasts the longest whiskers?

Today I want to learn a little more about whiskers. Who has the longest, what are they made of, and what are they good for? Answer: The arctic fur seal has the longest set of whiskers in the animal kingdom. The world record for longest whiskers was awarded to a male fur seal who was said to boast a 19 inch stache! Apparently, almost all mammals get to walk around with a set of whiskers. These extra hairs are almost completely dead throughout the length, it is the root that is the live and active component! The root of each lil’ whisker is wrapped with nerves (in the fur seal’s case, some have up to 1,000 nerve endings per one lil’ hair!). These nerve endings allow them to use their whiskers as practically an extra set of hands! Fur seals use their long whiskers to track movement, identify objects, and even sense changes in water pressure. What fun! Whiskers, whiskers, whiskers, I just love to say it!

No comments:

Post a Comment