Today I Googled

This is a blog for those who don't have a lot time, well... except when it comes to reading up on trivial information. FACT: I love learning. I love random information. I love google.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Today I Googled Lifespans


Google, what animal has the longest lifespan?

A clam! The ocean quahog (Arctica islandica) is a mollusk that is commercially harvested and shipped primarily to the USA to claim it’s fate in the land of the free as….. clam chowder. The “black clam” is known for it’s longevity and slow aging process. The longest living specimen ever to be collected was 405 years old! Like trees, clams have annual growth rings around their shell that researchers can count and use to identify lifespan. Fun fact: this clam was alive when the Mayflower ported at Plymouth Rock. Long live the clam! Eh? Eh??

No comments:

Post a Comment